Wednesday, April 2, 2008

The Legend of Santiago

St. James was one of Jesus´homies, one of the original 12. And after Pontious Pilot had Jesus exectuted (you all know the story of that hot mess), James supposedly sailed to Galicia to spread the juice.

But pagan Galicia was not having much of this Christian hoodoo, and James returned to Jerusalem, where in 42 C.E. Herod had him beheaded.

And now it gets a little wierd. Because somehow, in a ship with no captain, James´ body sailed back to Galicia, where it mysteriously disappeared for the next seven and a half centuries.

And in 813 C.E. a shepherd in Galicia saw stars falling on a field in Galicia, where he discovered a tomb. And inside it, the relics of the Saint.

And a church was built on that spot, and for centuries after, pilgrims have come from the world over to pay homage to what legend says are the saint´s remains (they don´t actually know for sure as no testing has been done, so we could all be haplessly flocking to pay homage to cow bones for all we know). But anyway, this legend has power and this power has drawn people, people like me, like a magnet....

to Saint James, Field of Stars.

6 comments:

rach said...

Animo! Animo!

muti said...

Not a bad thing to be magnitized to! Congratulations for making it all the way. You must be so proud of yourself--we are incredibly happy for you!

xoxo Muti

Ang said...

A cocktail will be consumed in your honor.

Enjoy the cow bones!

XO,
Ang

rach said...

Ahem.
Interpol?

DocBish said...

I've been reading your blogs courtesy of Judy and have had several comments that have been milling around in my mind. 1) Go to it girl! 2) I can understand your struggles with letting go - I've had to do the same thing after my wife died, but I'm working my way out of that. 3) If I were about 50 years younger younger, you'd have to get a court order to keep me away! (as is that would would work!)

Unknown said...

Congratulations!!! Way to go girl. I hope you found everything you were looking for and more. I'm enjoying reading your blog quite a bit although I didn't start until a couple of days ago. I am Lena, the short, hairless one that was with the Middlebury sisterhood. I hope you do write some more about the final day. When I did the Camino the first time I found the arrival at Santiago to be a bit anti-climatic so I'm wondering if it was the same for you and how you feel now that you've accomplished your goal.
Ultreya!
Lena (santilla at middlebury dot edu)

Patrol Night 2 or I Have Turtle Blood on My Hands

June 22, 2010 Tonight I am on the beach writing by the gibbous moonlight. The Atlantic is beating a persistent time, the stars sparkle, the ...