Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Post Script

BTW, I had a grand time in Santiago! The day I returned from Muxia, as I walked back into town from the bus station, I saw Roberto and Elainie sitting in a cafe! and they were staying in my pension with Pepe and Maria! And Joe had arrived too! For the next two days I took walking tours (including the rooftop of the cathedral - wicked!), and ate dinner with our little family and went to mass.



At mass they swung the botafumeiro! It is the largest incense burner in Europe, it takes eight priests to pull the ropes and that thing skys from one end of the cathedral transept to the next at almost 70kmph, shooting practically parallel with the vaulted ceiling and smoking away as it swings. It supposedly has a religious purpose, but I think it really was traditionally used to fumigate the stinking pilgrims (we still stink today). What a sight.



And I am now home and back in the land of yellow pollen and highway traffic trying to adjust to the time and to driving and to television. I have woken up from naps a few times quite disoriented, not recognizing my home and wondering which friggin' albergue I was in. I am happy to report that my VC seems to be clearing up, but my feet are still feeling like they were pounded with a meat tenderizer. I might be headed to the podiatrist after all.



Thank you again to everyone who followed my journey and commented, sent me e-mails, or just read along for the ride.

Also, stay tuned for pictures! I will post them on this blog (embedded in the text) and also a link to the whole gallery at flickr.com soon.

There is one last thing you can do for me. If you like this blog, e-mail jan@travelgirlinc.com (Travel Girl Magazine) and tell her to read it!

Muchas Gracia y Buen Camino!

6 comments:

SpamaraD said...

Kristin,
Congratulations! You have traveled many miles in body and in mind. I am soo very proud of you and am overwelmed by your blog. I am excited to see your pictures! And can't wait to talk to you.

Thank you for being my friend,
Sandra

Samantha said...

[whistles, clapping, cheers!!!] That was AMAZING!!!!!!!! oh my gosh!!!! oh my gosh oh my gosh, loved the whole whole thing. you are amazing. i love you.

Marcelo said...

i am in so much awe of you right now. i can't wait to see your pictures, but more importantly i can't wait to see you.

rach said...

You rock, girlfriend!
We're so glad to have you back...
Congrats on finishing in style!!

Unknown said...

Fantastic blog, I enjoyed reading it very much and I'm glad I got to know you a little bit, even if we didn't talk much. I did e-mail travelgirl magazine about it. Looking forward to seeing your pictures too and would love another update in a few weeks, how you feel then and how things look in perspective as you move on from this experience.
Ultrella!

muti said...

What a life journey you have completed! You will always be strengthened by your accomplishments. You have endeared yourself to your many friends and family and will cherish your memories forever. You are well on your path to independence and adventure. Well done grasshopper!! Love Muti

Patrol Night 2 or I Have Turtle Blood on My Hands

June 22, 2010 Tonight I am on the beach writing by the gibbous moonlight. The Atlantic is beating a persistent time, the stars sparkle, the ...