Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Day 10 or White and Red Country

Notes on Day 10, March 5, Navarette to Najera (17km)

604.8 km or 375.8 miles left to Santiago.



So last night, after the meltdown in the church in Navarette, I decided I needed to slow down, take a deep breath, and then call my mom. I ate a simple dinner of sopa de ajo (garlic soup) and pescado (fish with the head again). Then I walked the snowy cobbled streets to a bar, blogged, and drank some more pacharan (calm in a bottle if ever it existed) and then climbed the winding steps to my little room in my little pension and called home to my mom and dad.

My mom has been another of those rocks in my life in the past year and a half. But unlike the rocks that supported me, mom was the rock that I crawled under when I wanted to hide, disappear, curl up against her comforting shoulder and cry like I was 33 divided by 10 and pretend the world did not exist. For a whole year she flew down to me in Atlanta whenever I needed her at a moment´s notice and I learned you are never too old for your mom. You always want your mom. I imagine that when I am 40 I will want my mom. When I am 50 I will want my mom. And when my mom has gone on to that great big Elvis concert in the sky, I will still want my mom. Even if one day the planets are so far out of alignment that the universe deems it right that I should be someone else´s mom, I will still want my mom.

She and Dad had all the practical and level headed advice I needed to be reminded of at the moment: listen to your body, take a rest if you need it, just take longer to complete the Camino if you need to, we are proud of you, etc. I talked my shoe situation over with dad and he reminded me that the right gear can make the difference between a wonderful time and a miserable time, and that´s when I realized that so much of my current anguish was caused by a gear problem, which was now fixed (since Elena and Sonjia helped me buy new hiking shoes). And since this morning I took my evil boots to the post office and shipped them (along with some expensive video equipment I wasn´t using) with a wing and a prayer to Santiago for later retrieval, I got rid of all those extra kilos that plagued me. All that remained now was to let my feet recover for a few days and presumably they would be good as new (or good as a consignment shop that only accepts gently used designer clothes).

I took my time getting ready this morning. I packed slowly, deliberately. I shopped for bread and fruit for the road, I ate breakfast, I dressed appropriately for the expected snow of the day, and set off with the hope of reaching Najera (but hey, if I only made it to Ventosa, that would be perfectly fine too). The lighter pack, the new shoes, the pacharan calmed demeanor made a difference on the trail today. The snow drove sharply in my face at times, but I didn´t mind. The mud was thick and squelched with every step, making it harder to walk, but I noticed how refreshingly and mercifully soft it was underfoot.



My guidebook says the weather in northern Spain can be unpredictable. Unpredictable? How about mutates like the mood of a crack head coming down from a high. And indeed, the landscape this winter morning was utterly transformed. The snow had dusted every mountain, vineyard, olive grove and thistle with a coating of pure down. Like powdered sugar on a Spanish pastry (mmmm pastry), it made the whole countryside look good enough to eat. And eat I did. I reached out my hand and took a bit of snow from an obliging shrub, and tasted. Pure, clean.



The earth in La Rioja (this famous wine growing region I am now walking in) is red like Georgia clay and I think 70% of it is now clinging to the bottom of my beautiful new shoes and the bottom third of my rain pants. But that´s ok.



And I made it to Najera, where I met Pok, the Korean podiatrist who looked at my outrageously purple toes and pronounced that they will heal just fine in a few days if I walk on them the way he recommends. "Walk like-eh Masai. You know Masai? In Africa?" And he demonstrated walking on the outside rims of his feet like Masai tribespeople apparently do. Skeptical of my ability to adopt a completely new manner of walking, I nodded in appreciation. I met Veronique and Andre, the French woman and German man who got drunk in a bar in Ventosa and therefore left for Najera after dark and came staggering in to the albergue laughing and whimpering at the same time. I miss Elena and Sonjia and Geunther and Eddie. They are long ahead of me now. But new faces will come down the path, with new smiles.

PS. I have read all your posts and I love you all!

9 comments:

rach said...

Oh! Thank goodness. Less worried about you now!
Just enjoy. That's what all this is for, right?

Samantha said...

i'm almost 40 now and i have to agree: there's no place like mom.

Marcelo said...

so just to reiterate...i'm green. after the mood i've been in all day (i've been wanting to tear the heads off kittens all day) i've read your blog (and every time i've checked) i think back to my own backpacking trip to europe, and wish i was there. so glad you are better. had me worried about you for a while. hang in there. "you can do it!" (to paraphrase Bob the Bulider)
XOXOXOXOXOX

Marcelo said...

oh and i forgot...mom rules!!! (no matter who you are)

muti said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
muti said...

From pops: Dear Frontera Girl, I'm reading a new book "Take the Risk" by Dr. Ben Carson, a black neurosurgeon from Johns Hopkins. He has some interesting thoughts and comments sprinkled throughout the book (although I'm only hanlf way thru)i.e A quote from Teddy Roosevelt who once declared "far better is it to eare mighty things than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much." Speaking about his overcoming uncontrolled anger when he was a teenager Dr. Carson had almost stabbed a friend in the stomach, he locked himself in a bathroom with God and for four hours read the Bible. One versehe read over and over was Proverbs 16:32. "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty and he who rules his spirit, than he who takes a city" Dr. Carson says "I can't put into words how empowering it was for me to realize that other people could no longer control me by getting me mad." Food for thought! Love pops

SpamaraD said...

Kristin,
Mom's are awesome! when I went in for my C-section, though my husband was there being my cheer leader all I wanted was my Mom. I felt a little silly at first, but when she arrived at the hospital and when I called her every night from the hospital I felt so much calmer.
Now...you can go to Europe as many times as you want damn it!! (I'll go, but I am a hotel, convertable girl...) You are the one who taught me to not let anyone stand in your way and to not care what anyone thinks! Walk on, walk on and put it behind you, walk it off, cry it off, dance it off!! Bask in the fact that you are on the most wonderful journey, celebrate you Kristin, celebrate you because you are awesome!
We love you too!

Just a thought...maybe all those awful camping trips we went on in Girl Scouts were just getting you ready for this...of course what were they getting me ready for!!
Andrea..that was me. :)

barbie said...

Getting rid of those"ugly boots" and shedding the excess baggage could be a metaphor of your own metamorphoses. Your words are already much lighter...more hopeful. Kristin, you've been in a cocoon and I'm confident that you will emerge as a beautiful (more enlightened) individual!

muti said...

My darling daughter, it was a pleasure to hold you and listen to you during those very dark days. It was also a way for me to honor my mother when she came to my aid during some dark times. I read Andrea's wise words when she said "sometimes we meet the people we need to meet" Looks like Pok the podiatrist whas one of those Godsends.

Anyway looks like you may be getting a second wind. I am grateful but want you to realize there is no failure in this. You will gain a great deal from your experience however it transpires. All of our experiences make us who we are and I know your inner strength is phenominally (sp)admirable. I was thinking of "It's a Wonderful Life" when George comes home to Mary after unsuccessfulyly trying to find the money Uncle Billy lost. George looked so frantic, visions of doom and scandal in his eyes, he started to hurl the newel post from the staircase and turned to go upstairs. Little Tommy looked at his mother Mary and said "Mommy should we pray?" Mary said yes, Tommy pray very very hard. Unbeknownst to George, the townspeople are all alerted to the situation and rally to George's aid. I just want you to know that we are all rallying for you. You are on a journey of discovery that will amaze you when you look back. Just keep going,one day at a time and remember. Yo te amo.

Patrol Night 2 or I Have Turtle Blood on My Hands

June 22, 2010 Tonight I am on the beach writing by the gibbous moonlight. The Atlantic is beating a persistent time, the stars sparkle, the ...