Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Day 35 or Muchas Gracias, Mis Amigos, Mi Corazon

Notes on Day 35, March 30, Sarria to Portomarin

Today I said goodbye to Elaine and Roberto. Roberto is sick and they are staying in Sarria for the day. I will miss them, my new friends.

Today I woke, dressed, brushed my teeth, packed, ate, left, walked. Then walked more. I think I walked some after that. I think after that I stopped at a bar. Then I might have walked some. I kept walking. I have been walking. I am still walking.



As I walk I am thinking of all my friends. My piles of friends who have stayed with me and stuck with me, who have been there for my divorce and are now swimming like little fishes along with me on this camino, cheering me on with e-mails and posts. They are like my support crew in the van on the Tour de France, you know?



I am thinking of my friend Sandy in Cincinnati, who I am so happy I truly reconnected with when I separated from my ex, and who had sort of weirdly predicted that one day I might leave my ex and offered words of encouragement and reminded me how I had been the one to encourage her when we were young. I am thinking of my friend Andrea in Florida, who I´ve known since I was practically born and who, when she moved away in fourth grade, I cried over like I´d lost my foot. She has let me know through countless e-mails and blog comments that she is here for me, and like a dork I have not called her yet, but it means so much to keep hearing her persist in being there for me, waiting patiently for me to call, which I know I will (I promise).



I am thinking of my gurlz (you know who you are), the boys (you know who you are), W&J who helped me move furniture during my divorce (always the shit job you do for friends). I am thinking of my school friends, who have hung tight (Sam, MK, Rachel and the rest, who I will see again in summer when they are recovering from their first year of teaching. And I am thinking of Travis, my former lover and friend, who made me feel completely beautiful when I looked like a God-damned train wreck and made me laugh at a time when I would've been crying otherwise.

And I am thinking of my entire family who have lent a hand, a prayer, or mountains more for me.



And there are many more friends of mine out there, you know who you are, who have been in my life and have known of my hurt. And I dedicate this day of walking, so close now to my destination, to you. My friends. I am misting up a little as I type, and I think of you all and I remember the words of Clarence the Angel from It´s a Wonderful Life:

¨Remember George, no man is a failure who has friends.¨

I am a rich woman indeed.

Thank you all.

I love you all.

5 comments:

muti said...

Amen, Amen and Amen.

xoxo Muti

Samantha said...

oh, i love you chica. i'm so happy to know you!

rach said...

Hugs & kisses.
We were glad to be with you then, and glad to be with you now.

celticparrot said...

ok...now we're misting up. WE LOVE YOU, TOO!

SpamaraD said...

Thank you for sharing this with us.

Your friend always, no matter how many miles...

okay now I am crying!

Patrol Night 2 or I Have Turtle Blood on My Hands

June 22, 2010 Tonight I am on the beach writing by the gibbous moonlight. The Atlantic is beating a persistent time, the stars sparkle, the ...